Portable AC units provide a flexible and accessible way to cool your space, especially if you rent. Other benefits of portable air conditioning units include their affordability, compact size, and simultaneous dehumidifier settings. However, when the AC isn’t working, it can be a real inconvenience. Luckily, many issues can be addressed at home.
Common Portable AC Unit Problems
If your unit isn’t working as it should, read our simple solutions to common problems before you pay for a professional repair:
Issue #1: The Unit Does Not Turn On
If the unit won’t turn on, it could be as simple as a loose power cord or a more complex issue with the machine’s wiring. Before you call for a repair, try the following:
- Check to ensure the power cord’s plug is securely in the electrical socket.
- Check the power cord for damage. If it’s damaged, order a replacement from the manufacturer.
- Confirm you didn’t trip the breaker or blow a fuse.
- If using an LCDI plug, try the reset button.
- If you have several appliances on the same circuit, move some to another outlet.
Issue #2: The Fan Runs, But Doesn’t Cool
If your unit’s fan is running, but the air conditioner is not cooling, try these solutions first:
- Double-check that the unit’s cooling mode switch is enabled and that the selected temperature isn’t warmer than the current temperature.
- Make sure the room’s temperature is within the AC’s functional tolerance. Most are designed to operate between 65°F and 90°F.
- Check doors and windows to make sure air is not escaping.
- Give the unit enough time to power each component of the system. A slight delay between the system powering on and the compressor running is normal.
- If your portable AC uses an internal water reservoir, allow the unit to exhaust the water or drain it manually to see if the cooling process resumes.
- Ensure your unit is appropriately sized for the room and number of people.
- In rooms with heat sources like the kitchen or a room with electronics, you may need to set the fan at a higher speed to keep up.
Issue #3: The Airflow Is Weak or Not Very Cold
When your airflow is limited or not very cold, try the following steps before anything else:
- Replace your air filter.
- Remove any debris blocking the air intake. Ensure there’s a minimum clearance of 20″ around the intake.
- Make the exhaust duct as short as possible to prevent any obstructions.
- Ensure the unit isn’t set to dehumidifying mode or low fan mode.
If these DIY solutions don’t address your issue, trust the professionals at Sig Cox Heating & Air Conditioning. Call 706-722-5304 or contact us online.
Portable AC Repair General Maintenance Tips
You can avoid repairs by regularly inspecting and maintaining your unit:
- Position your system with adequate clearance for the air intake.
- Change air filters regularly.
- Keep the exhaust hose as straight as possible.
- Store your unit properly when not used for extended periods. That includes draining the unit and running the fan for an hour to adequately dry the interior.
Trust Sig Cox With Your HVAC Needs in Augusta, GA
Sig Cox is here for all your residential and commercial air conditioning and heating needs. We specialize in HVAC service and sales, and we’re managed by a team of qualified HVAC and mechanical engineering experts.
Trust Sig Cox for all your HVAC service needs in Augusta, GA. Call 706-722-5304 or contact us online.
“I called 6 other companies when my AC stopped pushing air at 5PM. None of them seemed to want my business. When I got to Sig Cox, the guy who answered the phone was polite, knowledgeable, and was even trouble shooting with me before sending someone out. The agent got to my house in 30 minutes, troubleshoot, and fixed the problem in another 30. He even topped off the freon for free. The pricing was definitely agreeable. You’d get charged the same or more with any other company. Some of the best customer service I have seen. You should absolutely consider Sig Cox for your HVAC problems, I won’t be looking anywhere else.”
Nicholas BrennanGoogle Review
“These people are amazing. After hiring Sig Cox the first time to fix my HVAC unit about a year ago, I was more than happy, to say the least. Then about a week ago I had them install a new HVAC unit for me. This is by far the best a/c repair company in Augusta, GA. They are professional, timely, and really take care of their customers. I highly recommend them and proudly give them an A+ rating! Thank you all so much!”
Chris KirkseyGoogle Review
“This company did some work for my mother-in-law, of which she was quite pleased, so she recommended them to us. We had a downstairs unit that just wasn’t putting out any cool air. They came by post haste and assessed the unit, gratis. Of course it was a compressor failure so we had to make the hard decision to buy a new unit or fix what we had. The advice we got from our man on the scene was honest and sincere.
Since we had an older unit that used the phased out Freon and compressors are ugh, expensive, we went with a new unit. We decided on the Amana since it had a lifetime warranty on the compressor and rated well in Consumer Reports.
A month later the other unit failed and we replaced that as well. Six Cog worked with us on the price, we were never hassled on the payment, nor did they demand any payment on the spot and never did I feel pressured into anything. The install was smooth, fast and highly professional. Both units fired up, granted a month apart, and the house was cool almost immediately.
This company has a great reputation from what I can garner in the community, and I’m here to tell you that I recommend them highly as well. Please note that this is first recommendation I have ever put online.”
Donald BradshawGoogle Review
“Very good experience. The Service Technician, David, went above and beyond to assist us in our AC repair.”
Daniel BrownGoogle Review
“From the first time that Mr. Boarwright came out, I knew that your company was top of the line. None [of the other companies] laid it out on paper like Sig Cox.”
Steven BurrisGoogle Review
“Thank you and your crew for your profession assistance in solving our unique heating and cooling situation that involved two separate zones.”
PJ RodgersGoogle Review
“It was a pleasure doing business with your staff. They were professional and provided the solution to our problem.
Margaret BrubakerGoogle Review
My air conditioning system went out, Sig Cox was recommended so I called them. Technician Andrew came out, was on time, and he properly diagnosed the problem. He had the part ordered. When the part came in, Nolan installed the part perfectly. Both technicians were very professional and knowledgeable. I even talked to the owner of the company who is involved day-to-day with his company. Very nice people to deal and they really go beyond what’s expected to help you get things fixed. I highly recommend Sig Cox!! Ask for Andrew or Nolan, they know what they’re doing!!
Dan CanGoogle Review
“We had a heating and air company we were satisfied with, but when we needed a new unit we went with Sig Cox because of the deal we couldn’t beat. We have been SO impressed with everyone we have worked with, from the customer service, to the salesman, to the technicians, they are all so friendly and professional! We will be loyal customers from now on!”
Ashley MarksGoogle Review